Atrial Flutter is a heart condition that refers to an abnormal heart rhythm or Arrhythmia. Atrial Flutter is a type of disorder in which the heart’s upper chambers (atria) beat too quickly is called atrial flutter. It is generally caused by problems in the heart’s electrical system.
An abnormal circuit inside the right atrium or upper heart chamber causes atrial flutter. A normal heartbeat is 60-100 beats per minute, but it is about 250-400 beats per minute after causing atrial flutter. It can cause a stroke, resulting in a permanent disability or death.
Causes of Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter is an age-related arrhythmia, and it does not occur before the age of 50. The causes of atrial flutter are not known to doctors. But there are some reasons which may cause atrial flutter. Those are:
A. Some diseases or other problems can cause an atrial flutter in individuals. Some of the disease which
causes atrial flutter are as follows:
- Ischemia lowers blood flow to the heart due to coronary heart disease, hardening of the arteries, or clotting blood and atrial flutter.
- High blood pressure
- The disease of the heart muscle or cardiomyopathy
- Abnormal heart valves, especially the mitral valve or some heart valve disorders
- An enlarged chamber of the heart (hypertrophy or dilation)
- Open heart surgery
- Heart incident as heart attack
- Non-cardiac surgery
B. Some diseases of the body may affect the heart. Some of those daises are well as follows:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a condition that lowers the amount of oxygen in the blood and causes atrial flutter.
- Pulmonary embolism is a blood clot in blood vessels in the lungs and causes atrial flutter.
- An overreactive thyroid is called hyperthyroidism and may cause atrial flutter.
- Sleep apnea
C. Some substances also cause Atrial Flutter. Those are :
- Some stimulants like cocaine, diet pills, and cold medicines.
- Alcohols like wine, beer, or hard liquor.
- The high amount of caffeine consumption.
Atrial Flutter Symptoms
Some common symptoms can be the patient who has Atrial Flutter. People with Atrial Flutter have no symptoms. Some people may show some significant symptoms as:
- Shortness of breath
- Trouble exercising
- Palpitations (rapid heartbeat or pounding or fluttering sensation in the chest)
- Fainting or dizziness
- Chest or heart pain
- Fain feeling or lightheaded
- Tightness in the chest
- A fast and usually steady pulse
Treatment of Atrial Flutter
Sometimes there is no need to treat atrial flutter because it goes away. If it persists in the body, the doctor nay suggests some medicines and other treatments as follows:
Medicine to Control Heart Rate
Some medicines can control heart rate by reducing rapid heart rate to pump more effectively. The most commonly used medicine to control heart rate is digoxin (Lanoxin).
There are also required some additional drugs a beta-blockers. They also slow the heart rate. Some beta-blockers are as follows:
- Bisoprolo ( Zebeta , Ziac)
- Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol)
- Atenolol (Tenormin)
- Timolol (Betimol, Istalol)
- Propranolol (Inderal, Innopran)
Some other calcium channel blockers also slow the heart rate and cut the strength of contractions. Some are:
- Verapamil (Calan, Calan SR)
- Diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor, Isoptin SR, Verelan)
Heart Rhythm Medications
Some medicines can slow the electrical signals to bring the heartbeat into a normal sinus rhythm. This treatment is called chemical cardioversion. Some sodium channel blockers and potassium channel blockers are associated with controlling it. Those are:
- Sodium channel blockers are flecainide (Tambocor), Propafenone (Rythmiol),
- Potassium channel blockers are Amiodarone (Cordaronel, Dofetilide (Tikosyn), Sotalol
(Betapace, Sorine, Sotilyze)
Anticoagulants make the heart unable to clot blood. This will lower the clot of bold in blood vessels and the heart and reduce the risk of stroke. Some anticoagulants are:
- Enoxaparin (Lovenox)
- Dabigatran (Pradaxa)
- Rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
- Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
Humans suffer many heart problems like Atrial Flutter when they are aged. It is an age-based problem. A healthy and balanced lifestyle can give us a better life.
Although, modern science is trying to find the solution to this problem. But we have to ensure to take some cautious steps about that disease. Rejuvenate your mind, take care of your heart and lead a healthy life.